Halloween Pumpkin Carving

So I met up with a couple of friends at a local shopping centre today, just to celebrate and chill since our exams are over (for us). So, we went for a nice lunch at The Baron and then walked around a bit.

Suddenly we spontaneously decide to hunt for some pumpkins and try pumpkin carving, and also making floral corsages and flower crowns, because
1. Why not
2. We had the time (now that exams were over)
3. We really had nothing else to do

So, after we went around hunting for them (can you believe that Coles didn't sell whole pumpkins?), and realising that Australia did not sell the really-super-orange pumpkins that are typically used for Halloween, we settled for two small ones, and some bouquets of flowers.


Whilst we were waiting for SL to arrive at my place, we started on the flowers. Though, to be fair, it was mostly MM, and they looked absolutely gorgeous.



After SL arrived, we started on the pumpkins. Whilst DZ and myself started carving off the top of the pumpkins, SL made some floral crowns, which looked great as well.

Made entirely using some flowers and wire
Justified selfie
Can I just say that pumpkin carving is extremely difficult.

It took us a good long time to cut off the top. This was also our first time ever doing anything remotely of the sort, and so we really just improvised the entire time. I also recorded our journey on my Go Pro, and currently have hours and hours worth of footage (over 2 hours!) of just us carving pumpkins with entertaining commentary. At least, I like to think it was entertaining.

Then, the actual carving began!

We decided to go with two designs. One was just pumpkins carved onto pumpkins because we thought that was funny lol. Literally, 'pumpkin' carving. When in doubt, go literal.

Tried out a couple of designs
Then for the second one (the butternut pumpkin) we decided to give the Mario Boo Ghost face a try.


After many hours, tears and hard work whilst we hacked away at these two small pumpkins using three knives and tried to stay sane, we managed to empty out most of the innards of the pumpkins into a huge bowl.


And then we waited for night to come. In the meanwhile, we ordered pizza and snacked for dinner.

Later on, we all went trick or treating, which was super fun. I'm lucky enough to be in one of the neighbourhoods that actually actively celebrate and participate in trick or treating, and so there were many kids roaming around and my brother was keen as a bean to give it a shot.

When we arrived back home (and after carefully examining the loot from the neighbourhood), we noticed it had gotten dark and so we finally were able to give the pumpkin carvings a shot!




Not going to lie, I'm pretty proud at how they turned out!

Considering it was our first time, and we really all had no idea whatsoever how to do this, I was surprised it actually worked alright! We spent ages discussing whether it would work, but we figured we'd give it a shot and well, it worked out!

Then of course we spent the rest of the night taking photos and playing spooky music on the piano to add to the atmosphere.

Not going to lie, that's pretty scary.




Although it was a lot of hard work and my hands are thoroughly tired, it was a wonderful day.

Not only did I get to see my friends and chill out with them (for the first time since our exams have finished), but it was such an enjoyable day and we were able to try something out that was completely new to us! And just being able to relax and talk about any topic at all and have time pass so quickly was something that I genuinely enjoyed.

This Halloween was definitely the best yet.

I think pumpkin carving is going to be a tradition now. Next year? Pumpkin carving party.

Till then, Happy Halloween!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a student from Australia. I like photography, am aspiring to be a Doctor, have fallen in love with many things that life has to offer, and hope to see more of it. I've been blogging for a while and over the years what it means to me has changed. Currently still trying to figure that out, but here I am in a weird hybridisation of photography, film, blogging, and the confusion of a young adult, you'll find me here writing about my experiences and life. Or whatever tickles my fancy. Whether that's entertaining or not is yours to decide. Stay hydrated, kids.