A year later // A flashback



Let's go back in time a bit.



...



I don't remember when I first started talking to LQ about photography. It happened with time.

It was always nice to have someone around school that understood the problems of a photographer and what it was like behind the camera and editing screens, despite our consistent NIKON VS CANON discussions (that still go on!).

23rd September, 2013
The first time I met MX, through LQ.

After a (slightly too polite) start to our first conversation on Facebook chat (after meeting briefly at semi before I was briskly swept away to take photos), we soon found ourselves talking about photography.

Reading over old chats makes you remember how some of the closest people you work with were once strangers, too.

16th December, 2013.
The first time LQ assists me with photography.

"Thanks for helping out today, btw!" 
"It's okay" 
"Really appreciate it" 
"Hahaha anytime! Ask if you need another photographer and I'll be happy to help" 
"Thanks, I appreciate it. Same goes back to you!"

Most (or all) of our conversation consisted of photography.
Never had I found someone who could sustain such a long conversation on this topic.

4th February, 2014.
The first time I enlist LQ's help.

I needed him to help me film something for prefects.

"you're one of the few people who can operate/I trust with my camera"

I don't remember what exactly happened; I vaguely recall cancellations in prefect plans and a big mess, but that's irrelevant.

6th February, 2014.
The first recorded serious decision to combine photography efforts into a single page.

LQ suggested we form a combined group to post photos, considering we both took photos at school events and uploaded them. And besides, we both trusted the other with our cameras.

"So what are we doing with the photos?" 
"Are we actually combining? And forming a single page?" 
"It's up to you. What would we end up putting on the joint page though? It'd be pretty inactive most of the time HAHA" 
"I guess when we finished HSC it would be more active, I don't know haha" 
"Yeah that's true. Up to you." 
"I guess we could." 
"Actually maybe it's not the best idea to upload all these photos on a page HAHA there are quite a few embarrassing ones"

The hesitation was through the roof.
The insecurities were sky-high.
The uncertainty was beyond measure.

Name discussions fruited. 
"Leo-kah photography?" 
"Are we actually calling it that? No one else would get the pun" 
"Yeah... What else do we call it?" 
"I have no idea now..."

Both unsure of whether the other was serious or not, we approached the idea cautiously, but with a little bit of enthusiasm and the courage to 'take a shot', it happened.

Selective Photography was born on the 6th of February, 2014.

A slightly below-par first display picture, considering our origins.

8th February, 2014.
The first album of photos uploaded to Selective (Muck-Up Day, 2014)

No watermark in sight.

14th February, 2014.
The first serious consideration of a watermark.

"We need a watermark bro"

Also the first mention of the hashtag; #selectivephotography

This was the day of the big blunder; the day of the Selective Hotography watermark.

I have not lived this day down yet.

8PM; A countdown to a hundred likes and constant refreshing and............. SUCCESS.

17th February, 2014.
The first time we coordinated the days we'd bring our cameras to lessen the load on each of us.

It was a good time for team work. AAA week was taking a toll on the prefects but it was a great opportunity for Selective to finally get to business.



18th February, 2014.

"Woo, #selectivephotography!"
"Actually best idea"
"It's so much better working with someone, I swear"

8th March, 2014.
MX joins the team!

Rejoices and welcomes, with much anticipation and excitement from the new team for the new future, followed swiftly by MX's first photo of her Sweetness visit.

Also the first time the hashtag #selective came to fruit.

23rd June, 2014.
Flash forward past Athletics Carnivals and Cross Countries, past Biennale, Quadschools, Greatest Shaves, Camps, Musicals...

We reach 500 likes, beyond what any one of us could possible even imagine.



...



Now, the present.

A year has passed. 
Standing at 872 likes, all of us can still hardly believe what has unfolded in the last 365 days.

For me, it brought me so many new opportunities, and it made me realise that photography can be so much more than 'just a hobby of mine'. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but #selective has opened up an entire new world of photography where I considered what it means to be labelled a 'photographer', what photography meant to me, and really branched out in that field and learnt a lot more about cameras and about myself.

One year. Three people. Thanks to both of you.

I never thought we'd come so far.

Selective photography

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a student from Australia. I like photography, am aspiring to be a Doctor, have fallen in love with many things that life has to offer, and hope to see more of it. I've been blogging for a while and over the years what it means to me has changed. Currently still trying to figure that out, but here I am in a weird hybridisation of photography, film, blogging, and the confusion of a young adult, you'll find me here writing about my experiences and life. Or whatever tickles my fancy. Whether that's entertaining or not is yours to decide. Stay hydrated, kids.