Vivid Sydney

Been a while since I've updated, but as promised, the minute my exams were over I legged it to the city.

Vivid Sydney, 2014!

This year's the third year that I've been, and I still enjoyed it as much as before. Each year they bring out a new theme and new atmosphere, and the change up in attractions and interactive displays is so fantastic.

But, before I get into that, first some photos from pool (that we played for a couple of hours while waiting for the lights to turn on at 6pm)


Great break
What I love particularly about my photography hobby is street photography. It's probably one of my favourite types of photography (if not the most) and although I wouldn't exactly say I'm great at it (because I'm not), I have to say that I enjoy it and the concept of it.

As much as it is difficult to take good night street photography (shutter speed and ISO can be really, really fiddly), it's a really fun challenge and just trying to balance all of those things (not even going to mention focusing...)

Friend SQ strutting the city streets
And there's a bit of a obstacle to overcome with even having the guts to take a photo of strangers.

I.e., trying to not look intimidating and being able to point your camera at someone you don't know, and then taking a photo.
I suppose not a lot of people understand the concept of /street photography/ because it is quite an obscure form. Generally, you take photos of people you know, or yourself -- not of strangers on the streets.

Especially kids; they're so adorable to take photos of, but there are obviously concerns with parents being all 'wtf'
 But none-the-less, vivid was an amazing night.

The lights and the sounds and effects, and all the small little displays erected across Sydney :')

Made the stupid mistake of looking directly into one of these lights (don't do it.)


Had a little trouble with lighting sometimes, and trying to manage auto-focus, too.

I know this picture is blurry but I thought the composition was nice :(
 I suppose it's just the idea that street photography can capture such an atmosphere.

It seems so natural and candid, yet there's something particularly fun about trying to compose a shot in a split second, and also deal with shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc., etc., and a good focused shot without alerting the police into thinking you're a creepy stalker or w/e


Of course, taking photos of friends is also just as great.

Friend JK also brought along his DSLR, so I didn't feel as out of place :P

I have an odd tendency to enjoy taking photos like this. I've taken at least one of these shots every single year at Vivid, and this year wasn't an exception.
 Also, I suppose in a way, street photography tells a story. Just as any other photo can.


There were quite a lot of people at Vivid when I went, which was unfortunate. Even though I stayed till past 10pm, there were still crowds of people everywhere, which made it difficult to take photos and to even stick together with my group of friends.

In an ideal world, I would have gone on Monday-Thursday, because I've heard that after 9PM there's a lot, lot less people. But unfortunately, my exams only finished on the Friday, and so I didn't get to have that luxury.

I'm sure the long weekend would have had even more people, so I suppose the best shot was to go on Friday. Next year though -- for sure I'll do my best to go between Mon-Thurs, and since I'll be an official 'adult', then I'll be able to stay later or w/e. (Even though I stayed pretty late this time, too)


Also have a tendency to take back shots. Mainly because I don't have the guts to take face ones.

Greatest fear: people turning and catching me taking a photo of them.
Ooh, I really enjoyed this display (below)
It was definitely one of my favourites because it seemed so enjoyable.

Also, another perk was that it was bright, so it was easier to take photos lol

Ngaw. What a cute little tiny human.

Accidentally took this photo, and although it's blurry and not in focus, I thought the effect was cool so I'll post it here
Although there were a couple of exhibits that I did miss (just too many people, not enough time, and obviously my friends don't always want to go where I want to go), the entire day was a great time and I enjoyed it to no end.

Although we spent ages looking for a food place (it was so crowded, too -- no places had enough vacant seats for all 10+ of us to sit down together), debating whether we ought to go to a restaurant or fast food or this or that, the night turned out great, and some of the memories of that night will stay with me for a long time to come.

Also, can't believe that we were all sober the entire time because some of these guys were so crazy that I would have questioned whether they consumed alcohol or not. (they didn't, but it seemed like they did because they were THAT insane.)
#vividsydney
Great night. Already excited for next year's.

P.S., in case you wanted to watch the entire projection show on the Opera House this year, I found this handy link (not my own recording)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a student from Australia. I like photography, am aspiring to be a Doctor, have fallen in love with many things that life has to offer, and hope to see more of it. I've been blogging for a while and over the years what it means to me has changed. Currently still trying to figure that out, but here I am in a weird hybridisation of photography, film, blogging, and the confusion of a young adult, you'll find me here writing about my experiences and life. Or whatever tickles my fancy. Whether that's entertaining or not is yours to decide. Stay hydrated, kids.