Sk8er Boi

Not a really important video so I was actually debating whether I should put this on here or not.

But clearly I decided to go ahead with it.



The reason I put this here was because there are a few things that this video shows me.

Number 1

It shows me doing something for the sake of doing it. For once I'm not travelling anywhere or really doing anything 'special' -- there is no 'justification' for my video except the fact that I just wanted to record it. The utmost reason was my passion and nothing else.

Like I had discussed earlier (about my loss of passion in photography), throughout this year I started to forget what it really meant to have photography/videography as a hobby. This time, there was no obligation to record anything, or post anything, or write about anything. But I did it anyway, and that is solely because of my passion, and that's a big jump for me.

Number 2

First some context.

I'd been meaning to learn how to skateboard or ride some kind of board (penny, etc.) for a long time. I used to watch people in admiration and think "Wow, I wish I could do that!". The day I found this skateboard on the side of the road (ready to be dumped) was a great day because I thought I would finally be able to teach myself how to skate!!

Except that was four years ago, and I never touched that skateboard.

At least, till recently.

I have a friend who has insisted several times why I'm not 'doing things now'. Every time I'd mention that I'd love to learn something like figure skating, a new language, gymnastics, or try something new, he would say 'Oh yes, but the fact that you're not doing that now suggests that perhaps you really don't actually want to do it' (paraphrased).

I don't necessarily agree with that, but it raises a fair point, and it's stuck in my mind ever since they first said it to me. I believe that there are reasons that may mean you can't exactly do everything you want to do. I mean, I want to go learn figure skating but right now I don't have the time or money to do that, and I have more important things to do for now. But, it reminded me how it's never too late to learn something new, and that I can say I hope to never stop learning every single day.

I had put off learning how to skate for years, and that was pretty much convincing enough for me to quit entirely and give up. But recent events and reflection made me realise that it's never too late to start. So I grabbed my brother by the arm and snatched the skateboard in the other, and then headed for the backyard.

And then the video happened.

Yep, this is just a thought-dump.

Anyway, catch y'all soon. Posts are coming thick and fast, and my Instagram hasn't been so active in ages, but my life is crashing forwards. In a few weeks I'll have to go on a hiatus due to travel, but never fear for I will return.

Stay hydrated, sleep enough hours each night, and take out all your festive decorations (if you celebrate it) because it's December now, and in my books that means it's finally the time that Christmas-y activities can be justified. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

About Me

My photo
Hello! I'm a student from Australia. I like photography, am aspiring to be a Doctor, have fallen in love with many things that life has to offer, and hope to see more of it. I've been blogging for a while and over the years what it means to me has changed. Currently still trying to figure that out, but here I am in a weird hybridisation of photography, film, blogging, and the confusion of a young adult, you'll find me here writing about my experiences and life. Or whatever tickles my fancy. Whether that's entertaining or not is yours to decide. Stay hydrated, kids.